Subject: Re: Local IP addresses changing
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/25/2000 12:56:22
>This makes ntpd very unhappy, as it can't reach the remote servers anymore.
>As a workaround I'm killing and restarting ntpd in my ip-up script, but I'm
>wondering what the real solution would be.

a better solution would be for ntpd use an ephemeral port for talking
to servers, just like ntpdate does, and then to close it after it's
done with a round of polling.  just my opinion.

im(ns?)ho, ntpd should *also* periodically re-lookup the addresses for
hostnames that are its peers/servers.  i have had several annoying
situations where a host's address changed, the ntp.conf was correct on
a client/peer, and the host's time slowly drifted *anyway*.  ntpd just
needs to be restarted, but it's a pain.