Subject: Re: Needing help with preventing IP theft
To: Dan Debertin <airboss@bitstream.net>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/11/2000 19:42:32
On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 05:26:39PM -0500, Dan Debertin wrote:

> DSL works a bit differently than cable modems. I have never seen a DSL
> implementation that uses PPPoE. Must be a cable modem thing....

  Quite a bit of the stuff in Canada (operated by Bell Nexxia and others) use
PPPoE.  The Nortel DSL products are just bridges.

> > PPPoE is not a solution to this problem.
>
> I did not say "PPPoE". I said "PPPoATM".

  In this case I'm not sure that there's much of a difference.  Whether you
run PPPoE over a modem bridge or PPPoA over something exotic you *can* still
solve the ARP problem, it seems to me.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
PhD Student, Computer/Synth Junkie         http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/