Subject: Re: Alteon Acenic gigabit ethernet card
To: Eric Weigle <ehw@lanl.gov>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/02/2000 23:43:09
On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 01:16:17PM -0700, Eric Weigle wrote:
> Good afternoon-
>
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has had experience with Alteon's gigabit
> ethernet card (using the Tigon-2 chipset) with NetBSD. I'm using the stock

I do, with 1.5_ALPHA

> version of the driver from 1.4.2, but I had to change a #define in
> /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.h from
>   #define PCI_PRODUCT_ALTEON_ACENIC 0x0001 /* ACEnic Gigabit Ethernet */
>   #define PCI_PRODUCT_ALTEON_ACENIC 0x0002 /* ACEnic Gigabit Ethernet */
> so that it would recognize the card when probing.

Hum, mine is 0x0001

> The problem is that when I look at the card info via ifconfig I see "status: no
> carrier". Also, the lights on the back of the card which usually light up as
> soon as the firmware is running fail to light. I have tried playing with the
> media types (default is ethernet autoselect) and using a different version of
> the firmware- both to no effect.
>
> Am I to assume that the driver wasn't made for this version of the card? Any
> input is appreciated.

I've hear of newver boards with more ram, and requiring a new firmware ...
You may want to have a look at the FreeBSD driver through cvsweb ...
I could too, but I don't have time rigth now. If you can wait a bit I can have
a look in 3 weeks, when I'm back. Ping me again if you need.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>