Subject: Alteon Acenic gigabit ethernet card
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Weigle <ehw@lanl.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/02/2000 13:16:17
Good afternoon-

I was wondering if anyone on the list has had experience with Alteon's gigabit
ethernet card (using the Tigon-2 chipset) with NetBSD. I'm using the stock
version of the driver from 1.4.2, but I had to change a #define in
/usr/src/sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.h from
  #define PCI_PRODUCT_ALTEON_ACENIC 0x0001 /* ACEnic Gigabit Ethernet */
  #define PCI_PRODUCT_ALTEON_ACENIC 0x0002 /* ACEnic Gigabit Ethernet */
so that it would recognize the card when probing.

The problem is that when I look at the card info via ifconfig I see "status: no
carrier". Also, the lights on the back of the card which usually light up as
soon as the firmware is running fail to light. I have tried playing with the
media types (default is ethernet autoselect) and using a different version of
the firmware- both to no effect.

Am I to assume that the driver wasn't made for this version of the card? Any
input is appreciated.

Thanks
-Eric

 Eric H. Weigle CIC-5 Network Engineering
 Los Alamos National Laboratory
 P.O. Box 1663, MS D451
 Los Alamos, NM  87545
 Email: ehw@lanl.gov Phone: (505)667-5588