Subject: Re: telnet 0: No address associated with hostname
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/01/2000 09:08:41
> fwiw, this has been a source of minor irritation for me.  I habitually
> do stuff like "telnet 0 80"  to check out a web-server or whatever..

I guess it all depends on what one's fingers are used to doing.

Would aliasing 'l' ("ell") to localhost in /etc/hosts or dns make your
fingers happier?

I personally hate the fact that there is are so many
variable-interpretations in IP number parsing and would be very happy
to see all that old baggage ripped out.

It was a too much of a liability as far as security was concerned.
One could never fully trust text-based IP-address filters to catch all
the nasty aliases for an IP address.  Look at all the amusing ways
folks found to abuse those aliases in the spam.

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
DGPS signals via the Internet