Subject: wiconfig for WaveLAN Gold cards
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/22/2000 03:38:31
wiconfig(8) man page states that the Gold cards accept 112 bits (14 chars)
key.  But it seems to me that it uses 128bit RC4 with 24bit IV included.
Thus it looks to require only 104bit (13 chars) secret.

|                  ter text string or 10 hexadecimal digits. For WaveLAN Gold
|                  cards, the key can be up to 112 bits, which means the key can
|                  be specified as either a 14-character text string or 28 hex-
|                  adecimal digits.  (The card claims to be 128-bit RC4, but you
|                  can only send 112 bits to the driver.  Strange, I wonder
|                  where the other 16 bits come from, and what they are.)

The WaveLAN Silver cards apparently uses the first 5 chars if I configured
longer key.  I guess the WaveLAN Gold cards also pick up first 13 chars
if you configure 14 chars via wiconfig(8) or ifconfig(8).

Could anybody has the Gold cards please check whether 14 chars key
can communicate to 13 chars key or not?

Atsushi Onoe