Subject: Re: CMU ver 2.4.3 bootp program
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/19/2000 01:23:30
On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 01:12:07AM -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Just thought everyone should be aware of this one. I have a copy of the CMU
> bootp program group.

Something wrong with our own, included-in-the-distribution bootpd?
(It's in /usr/sbin and has a quite legible man page.)

> It generated a number of warnings, my guess is that it was looking for a
> true UNIX host, rather then a BSD anything type host to compile on.

No such thing as "true UNIX", and we're pretty close to standard
4.4BSD anyway.

> Especially since the make file called the C compiler using a well known
> alias CC, which is what the Founders called their C compiler.

So do we, though we're using gcc nee egcs as cc these days:

uriel:~% ls -il /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc
3642 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  84932 Feb  7 12:07 /usr/bin/cc
3642 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  84932 Feb  7 12:07 /usr/bin/gcc

These may provide interesting reading for you, Gregg:

http://www.hsrl.rutgers.edu/ug/unix_history.html
http://www.daemonnews.org/199903/history.html

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net