Subject: Re: getaddrinfo
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/10/2000 10:45:20
> 	getaddrinfo cannot figure out what socktype to use when you give
> 	numeric service to it.  (when you give names, it can guess from
> 	/etc/services)

Since 'hints' argument is provided to note libraries what type of socket
the caller supports, no hints should be interpreted as all possible results.

For numeric service arguments, there are some options:
	1. return lists of all scoktype which has 'port'.
	2. return lists of socktype only defined in services.
		e.g. by getservbyport()
	3. return error [current implementation]

I prefer 1. since it is the only way for applications to be protocol
independent without modifying service databases, which usually requires
priviledges.

Atsushi Onoe