Subject: Re: disklabel number of partition ?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/30/2000 10:25:31
At 10:56 29/06/00 -0400, you wrote:
>[I removed tech-net from the header, as this has nothing whatsoever to
>do with networking.]
>
>> I need more than 8 partition on a disk.
>> is this is possible ?
>
>Yeah, on the i386 port the limit of 6 usable partitions per drive is
>pretty crippling.
>
>If you don't mind a flag day in /dev, it's fairly straightforward to
>raise MAXPARTITIONS; I've done it for the sun3, sparc, and alpha ports,
>though not the i386 (my one i386 machine is not one I've had occasion
>to want lots of partitions on).  (I gather the changes implied to /dev
>- neither forward nor backward compatible - are the principal reason
>something like this hasn't been done in the main tree.  I keep hearing
>rumblings about allocating extra major numbers and reworking the
>partitioning schemes; presumably someday something will happen.)
>
>As an interim kludge, you can always take a partition, make a
>filesystem in it (use as high a bpi figure as you can), make one huge
>file that fills the filesystem, layer a vnd over that file, and
>subpartition it.  (You can't layer a vnd directly on top of a disk
>partition, and there seems to be no way to make a disk partition
>present itself as a file, though it seems to me it would probably be
>fairly easy to build a "filesystem" that presented that effect.)
>
>					der Mouse
>
>			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
>		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

hello,
you don't understand my question.
I want to know if it is possible to have more than 8 partitions in the
disklabel ?
for example : sd0a, sd0b, sd0c, sd0d, sd0e, sd0f, sd0g, sd0h,
and now for an extra disk, I need an other partition, sd0i.
I need this for my 5th msdos partition.
or in a last use, is it possible to make it on disklabel sd1?
thank's.
R.