Subject: Formal Complain
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Medi Montaseri <medi@sanlight.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/26/2000 17:50:13
I guess I'd like to post my formal complain against Gods of NetBSD
and their i386 1.4.2 sendmail-8.9.3 packaging. Very poorly done.

The above sendmail package comes with a sendmail.cf which has the
mailertable rulesets commented out. This cost me a few days.
Obviously not a good first impression.

You never mess with sendmail.cf rulesets, not in the last few years.
Every
thing should be managed from above via m4(1). Yes, in the old days,
that is how we did it. And I'm glad I was there to get my hand dirty
and now I can fix this. But, the pase is simply too fast now.

The said sendmail.cf has the "mailertable" feature (along a few other
features).
but the line is commented out. So one uncomments that and thinks that
this
is it. Populate the files, makemap(1) them and that is it.

No, you now have to follow the rules to see what portions have further
been commented out. And of course the rule-id itself is there, so
the thread hits S90 and comes right back up with no error. But no
translation was done because the body of S90 was commented out.

The other problem was that, the "Kmailertable" had a 'dbm' type,
and makemap(1) says 'dbm' type is not supported in this version.

Further, the current sendmail.cf shows inclusion of "netbsd" as OSTYPE.
But guess what, sendmail does not have this under its m4/cf directory.
So now you have to understand that, that is really a bsd4.4.

This reminds of Linux a few years ago....is that where you guys are...
Medi Montaseri, Director of Software Eng, medi@sanlight.net, Ext 2002