Subject: Re: bind listening on strange upd port
To: Mipam <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/11/2000 18:19:42
>I am running bind in a chrooted env here.
>After starting it starts listening on 53 tcp/udp.
>But outside that i saw it also listened on a high udp port.
>I changed that udp port with query-source adress * port xxxx
>I descided to rebuild the system with make build.
>Same result. DOes anyone know why bind listens on a high udp port
>besides 53?
>For what is it listening?

it's listening for answers to the questions that it has sent out.  by
clearly establishing a port for it to send questions (and receive
answers), it's much more robust (ie, answers are less likely to get

there used to be a bug (8.1 or thereabouts) where you could ask it
questions there and it would answers them, regardless of acls, but
that's gone now.

>ps i am talked about 8.2.2-p5

good.  :)