Subject: Not so fun discovery...
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/07/2000 19:20:00
I have recently fired up an old VAX 11/750. It had NetBSD 1.2
on its disks, so and therefore I did some ethernet benchmarks while here.
I also installed NetBSD 1.4ZA on another disk and checked the same.

Py putting/getting /netbsd from a machine on the local network I
got the following numbers:

NetBSD 1.2:
get: 130 kilobytes/s
put: 48 kilobytes/s

NetBSD 1.4ZA:
get: 67 kilobytes/s
put: 44 kilobytes/s

This shows a giant degradation in receive speed. I assume most machines
are too fast to notice things like this, but on a 300 KIPS machine
it is a slight degree of performance loss.

Do anyone have any ideas about this? I really don't know where to start
searching for this problems. I can boot from any system if someone
have any idea about what to try.

-- Ragge