Subject: Re: getnameinfo type incompatibility
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/22/2000 10:24:19
>| The motivation for going this route is that nothing about this type is
>| machine-dependent, and a further disadvantage of the current
>| <machine/ansi.h> model is the inability to use the private
>| (namespace-clean) type macro definition once it's been used to typedef
>| the public name, which is often desirable for private interfaces in
>| public headers or ambiguities in a standard concernding the
>| namespace used by a header.
>
>I have not read the standard, but this looks suspiciously similar to
>size_t, so it might be allowed to have it either unsigned long or unsigned
>int. Private interfaces whould be if-def'ed out so they are not visible
>in user space. As far as avoiding ambiguities in the standard, I have
>no solution.
>
>| I do want to use this model (among other things) to make visible off_t
>| in <stdio.h> in a non-invasive way; I think you'll agree with me that
>| adding a _BSD_OFF_T_ in <machine/ansi.h> is not the way to address
>| this issue.
>
>Has long long been sanctioned by ansi now?
>
>I still like to do things in one way and one place...

	if sys/ansi.h a too much change before 1.5 (or many feels it needs
	more time to be baked), I'd propose the following:
	- before 1.5, add socklen_t decl into machine/ansi.h
	- after 1.5 branch, change #ifdef'ing model if necessary, move MI items
	  from machine/ansi.h to sys/ansi.h, whatever.

	I really need socklen_t in netdb.h quick.

itojun