Subject: Re: getnameinfo type incompatibility
To: Klaus@security.kpnqwest.com, Klein <kleink@uni-trier.de>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/21/2000 12:37:15
On May 21,  9:52am, Klaus@security.kpnqwest.com (Klaus@security.kpnqwest.com, Klein <kleink@uni-tri) wrote:

| The motivation for going this route is that nothing about this type is
| machine-dependent, and a further disadvantage of the current
| <machine/ansi.h> model is the inability to use the private
| (namespace-clean) type macro definition once it's been used to typedef
| the public name, which is often desirable for private interfaces in
| public headers or ambiguities in a standard concernding the
| namespace used by a header.

I have not read the standard, but this looks suspiciously similar to
size_t, so it might be allowed to have it either unsigned long or unsigned
int. Private interfaces whould be if-def'ed out so they are not visible
in user space. As far as avoiding ambiguities in the standard, I have
no solution.

| I do want to use this model (among other things) to make visible off_t
| in <stdio.h> in a non-invasive way; I think you'll agree with me that
| adding a _BSD_OFF_T_ in <machine/ansi.h> is not the way to address
| this issue.

Has long long been sanctioned by ansi now?

I still like to do things in one way and one place...

christos