Subject: Re: loopback routes
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/06/2000 00:45:03

>> >If you really want to do this, a null connector*/teriminator for a UTP port,
>> >get yourself a cheap networking card and send packets out that interface
>> >using ipfilter and hardwired IP#/MAC.  ARP information in place, they'll
>> >get sent out the interface to nothing.
>>
>> will that ensure that the hardware addresses are intact as received?
>
>No.  Once they go up into the IP layer, your MAC addresses are as good
>as lost anyway.  It just stops ARPs that will never be answered from
>being generated.

rats.  the hardware addresses are what i was most interested in.  the
packets that i don't want are getting to me somehow, presumably by
having an ethernet broadcast (or maybe multicast) destination address.
what i *really* wanted to know was where they were coming from.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|