Subject: Re: ifmedia doc wrong
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/21/2000 11:28:48
>>>>> "Ken" == Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
    der> This is definitely wrong.  10base5 is "thicknet" - the old heavy coax,
    der> 500m length limit, whereas AUI is not strictly a media type at all;
    der> it's a host<->transceiver interface that can be used with at least

    >> I've never seen a thicknet system that wasn't connected to hosts via the
    >> AUI ports. That was because you didn't cut the thicknet, you soldered the
    >> transceiver around it, and then connected via up-to-50m AUI cable to the
    >> host. I never had to do the soldering, but I did maintain such a network in
    >> the early '90s.

    Ken> I _think_ der Mouse's complaint is that AUI doesn't necessarily mean
    Ken> 10base5 (you can plug an 10baseT tranceiver into an AUI port on your
    Ken> Ethernet card, for example).  At this point, though .... is it really
    Ken> worth changing?  I think everyone really _knows_ what it means.

  if there are real cards that have 10base5 ports which are not the AUI
ports, then the two definitions need to be split. Otherwise, I think it is
just a documentation change.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.