Subject: Off-topic: IPv6 name resolving with Solaris 8?
To: None <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/18/2000 18:32:41
I wonder how I can get the Solaris 8 tools to do proper DNS queries with
AAAA records:

	rfhs8036$ ping -A inet6
	ping: unknown IPv6 host

	rfhs8036$ nslookup -qt=aaaa
	Address:      canonical name =    IPv6 address = 3ffe:400:430:1::1   nameserver = localhost   nameserver =      internet address =

It works fine to telnet NetBSD->Solaris8 and back if I use numerical
addresses, but this should work somehow. /etc/nsswitch.conf has:

	hosts:      files dns

snooping on the line, it seems that if I use "ping noon" at least some DNS
query is made (but the answer isn't understood?), but if I use "ping
-Ainet6" not even a DNS query is made.

Any quick clues?

 - Hubert

Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"
BSD:       "Are you guys coming, or what?"