Subject: Re: icmp redirects
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/17/2000 15:05:02 (Andrew Brown) writes:
>         UGHD        0    46447      -  ne0
> but why?  dynamic routes like that seem like the kind of thing that
> should time out, simply because they're called "dynamic routes".

In the router that I hacked code on, I came to the same conclusion.  I
ended up inserting ICMP-redirects into the routing table a 600 second
(10 minute) TTL.  That at least caused them to eventually age out.

(My feeling was that routers especially should never honor ICMP
redirects -- ever.  Even hosts shouldn't honor them since there so
little validity checking that one can't really tell if an
ICMP-redirect is spoofed or not.  Unfortunately some vocal customers
really liked to set up their routers as dumb hosts -- so this
embarrassing misfeature stayed.)

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
DGPS signals via the Internet