Subject: multiple processors on NFS servers
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/12/2000 20:13:44
  Given that CPU speeds have increased an order of magnitude faster than
disk speeds, is there any advantage to having multiple CPUs on NFS servers?
  It used to be that NFS servers were always CPU bound, but that was in the
days of 20Mhz '030s and 40Mhz Sparc CPUs. Are there any papers that describe
what happens now?
  The origin of this query: I'd rather switch a Linux NFS server for a
NetBSD one (vs a FreeBSD one). Linux botches NFS, and frankly, simple things
like "reboot" fail to work if you have exported partitions. I prefer NetBSD
for administrative reasons (we already have some NetBSD boxes). FreeBSD
offers big-lock SMP, which I suspect won't help anyway. Another alternative
is Solaris/x86 if multiple CPUs are really useful in this context.

  Advice?

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [