Subject: Re: inetd.conf: only tcp6/udp6 is enough ?
To: None <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/11/2000 09:34:53
>On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 10:04:48PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.47.11/SYSADV3/@Ab2PageView/19001?Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1
>> says on inetd.conf:
>> ``Because AF_INET6 sockets work with either the IPv4 or IPv6 protocols,
>> specifying a proto value of tcp6 (udp6) is sufficient.''
>> Is this valid for NetBSD/KAME as well?
>Optionally, depending on this sysctl set to zero in -current: net.inet6.ip6.bindv6only

	i've put some description into src/etc/inetd.conf and inetd.conf(5).

>Default it is set to one meaning AF_INET6 sockets work with IPv6 only.
>This violates the standard a bit, but is the more reasonable choice as
>following the standard gives more potential interoperability problems.

	yup.
	I should also note that, if we follow the standard (AF_INET6 gets
	IPv4 traffic), we become more vulnerable.  I really vote for separate
	AF_INET{,6} sockets.
http://playground.iijlab.net/i-d/draft-itojun-ipv6-transition-abuse-00a.txt
(section 3)

itojun