Subject: Re: named hostname-lookup rate on NetBSD?
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/10/2000 16:52:35
Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> writes:

>   Try bind 9. Aside from pthreads, my understanding is that it is designed
> for much larger internal databases, with the ability to keep stuff on disk
> as well.

bind9 will be slower to respond in the average case right now.  We are
more concerned about standards compliance, with an eye to
optimization, than optimizations right now.  However, we are working
to speed things up.

>     Jonathan> if BIND 9 would ever acutally benefit from two CPUs, let alone
>     Jonathan> in this case.
>
>   It must have locking between the threads which on the single CPU case
> would make it slower.

Locks are pretty fast -- a slow PII can do well over one million/sec.
However, locks do slow things down a bit.

Also, bind9 won't help on two processors (much) unless you're doing
DNSSEC.

--Michael