Subject: Re: ATM cabling
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Jon Miner <miner@doit.wisc.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/07/2000 21:18:52
* Jeff Rizzo (riz@boogers.sf.ca.us) [000307 16:55]:
> As long as you're not doing anything involving SVCs, it should be fine.
>
> NOTE: I've never actually tried this with NetBSD.

Well, you'll also have problems with ILMI and actually getting an ATM
address, since most of your address is given by the switch.

In fact, it's probably not possible, given that each ATM device should
send out an ILMI request to get it's NSAP address when it is
powered-up...  Since neither device is a switch, neither will be
listening on (0,16) and neither will have a switch prefix to give..

SVC's would of course be impossible, but without an address, I'm not
sure that anything is possible..  I've never tried, though (although,
the ATM cards on my shelf are now begging to be cross-connected...)

jon

--
.Jonathan J. Miner------------------Division of Information Technology.
|miner@doit.wisc.edu                 University Of Wisconsin - Madison|

 I'm afraid my gut level reaction is basically, "'proceed' is cute, but
 cute doesn't cut it in the emergency room."
              -- Larry Wall in <199710281816.KAA29614@wall.org>