Subject: Re: rtl80x9_init_media
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/01/2000 21:01:40
On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 10:29:51AM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:02:57PM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > Anybody want to review this? I wont be able to do much testing tonight.
> >
> > (Ok, so I dont read in the eeprom, but read the config2/3 registers. As long
> >  as this is only needed once and we don't clobber the config registers first,
> >  this should be ok, right?)
>
> Already proven to be buggy. Maybe I should move my "start coding" limit
> to some earlier hour. The problem is that this would collide with the
> "succesfully brought the kid to bed" limit.

Ok, the reason my code doesn't work is twofold...

a) it translates the current state, instead of the default state.
b) more seriously, at least for the Amiga (if_ne_zbus) and isapnp boards,
   is called before the indirect offset array for NIC_GET/NIC_PUT is set up
   by ne2000_attach().

b) makes we wonder: why do we need this at all? Are there nonbusspace
   dp8390 or ne2000-like boards which scramble the bus_space offsets?

Regards,
	-is