Subject: Re: Setting ipv6 default router without getting a MAC-based ipv6 addr
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/26/2000 03:52:03
> 	If you want the following:
> 	- For servers
> 	- put name-address mapping onto DNS
> 	- and would like to use the mapping across ethernet card replacement
> 	it is covered.

Doesn't sound like it:

> 	You should be okay if you configure extra address.
> 	# ifconfig ne2 inet6 3ffe:501:ffff::1 prefixlen 64 alias
> 	and put it onto DNS.
> myserver.flame.org.	IN AAAA	3ffe:501:ffff::1
> 	You do not need to worry about extra addresses configured from
> 	MAC-address based link-locals.  If you don't advertisem them in
> 	DNS, they won't be used by clients.  When you initiate a
> 	connection from the server, it may occasionally be used.

So I have to either (a) have outgoing connections sometimes coming from
addresses not in the DNS or (b) change my reverse DNS when I switch
network cards?

If true, I'd agree, this'll be another way IPv6 will suck bigtime.  I
don't consider either of those acceptable.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca