Subject: Re: Setting ipv6 default router without getting a MAC-based ipv6 addr
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/26/2000 17:27:34
>> 	if you manually configure clients, you are making renumbering harder...
>> 	if you autoconfigure clients, when you renumber and you reconfigure
>> 	routers, the prefixes gets propagated to end nodes automatically.
>Actually, I don't care what the _upper_ bits are, but I do care what
>the _lower_ bits are.

	as I wrote, if you want to use specific interface id (lower 64 bits)
	you can swap link-local address.  I don't recommend it since
	we did not make extensive tests for it.

>Also, I don't really want my ethernet address to be used, and I find
>the idea of encoding "webservr" in the lower 64 bits to be appealing :)

	If you want the following:
	- For servers
	- put name-address mapping onto DNS
	- and would like to use the mapping across ethernet card replacement
	it is covered.

	You should be okay if you configure extra address.
	# ifconfig ne2 inet6 3ffe:501:ffff::1 prefixlen 64 alias
	and put it onto DNS.
myserver.flame.org.	IN AAAA	3ffe:501:ffff::1
	You do not need to worry about extra addresses configured from
	MAC-address based link-locals.  If you don't advertisem them in
	DNS, they won't be used by clients.  When you initiate a connection
	from the server, it may occasionally be used.

itojun