Subject: Re: Extending ipv4/6 support for nsswitch?
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/15/2000 16:31:54
>the current search path for ipv4/6 is fixed and has some problems
>when you only want a ipv4 search for dns entries.
>What about extending the syntax so you can specify that you want
>a filesIPv4, then a dnsIPv4 and if that all fails a filesIPv6 and
>dnsIPv6 lookups?
>And keep the old behaviour when you use files and dns.
>hosts:	files4 dns4 files6 dns4
>Hmmm, is it possible to get ipv6 entries fron nis?

	The above does not really help.  nsdispatch() will be given specific
	address family from gethostbyname2() and obeys that.

	I'm trying to address the issue, by having _dns_gethaddr() variant
	for use from getaddrinfo().  I think we don't need to impose
	nsdispatch() and nsswitch.conf, thanks to very generic code in
	nsdispatch().  I'll try to commit it sooner.

itojun