Subject: Re: getaddrinfo() and IPV6 problem in fetchmail?
To: Urban Boquist <boquist@crt.se>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/11/2000 02:10:23
>I upgraded my "fetchmail", using NetBSD pkgsrc and suddenly it stopped
>working. I just got:
>fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(mail.crt.se.imap)
>Some debugging revealed that getaddrinfo() returned EAI_SERVICE
>(servname not supported for ai_socktype). The service it is trying to
>use is "imap".

	Thanks very much for detailed analysis, getaddrinfo is not guilty
	here.  this is because of inconsistency between fetchmail source code
	(which uses "imap" service) and /etc/services (which has "imap2" only,
	as you have checked).

	fetchmail does not use getservbyname() in --disable-ipv6 compilation,
	it uses hardcoded decimal value for port # (so it have no problem with
	"imap" and "imap2" issue in --disable-ipv6 case).

	Not sure which side (fetchmail or /etc/services) should be corrected.

itojun