Subject: $ifaliases_* vs p2p interfaces
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/2000 17:52:29
I just noticed something (the hard way): the rc.conf scheme for
specifying alias addresses for interfaces is severely broken for
point-to-point interfaces.

In my specific case, I want to set up sl0.  Using ifconfig manually,
the commands would be

ifconfig sl0 netmask -link0 -link1 -link2 mtu 1500 up
ifconfig sl0 alias netmask

but there's nothing I can put in ifaliases_sl0 that will get that alias
configuration done right!

What's the Right Fix?  Personally, I'm inclined to set ifalias_sl0_1,
ifalias_sl0_2, ifalias_sl0_3, etc, each of which specifies exactly one
alias, holding ifconfig arguments a la the ifconfig_* variables.  (Of
course, supporting ifaliases_* variables for the sake of compatability
would be good, and fortunately not incompatible with this.)

What think y'all?

					der Mouse