Subject: getaddrinfo() and IPV6 problem in fetchmail?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@crt.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/2000 17:49:50
Hi all,

I upgraded my "fetchmail", using NetBSD pkgsrc and suddenly it stopped
working. I just got:

fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(mail.crt.se.imap)

Some debugging revealed that getaddrinfo() returned EAI_SERVICE
(servname not supported for ai_socktype). The service it is trying to
use is "imap".

I'm not sure who is to blame here, but I have found two work-arounds:

1. in the default /etc/services there is a line:

	imap2           143/tcp

If you change that into:

	imap		143/tcp

fetchmail works again.

2. you can also remove the line:

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-inet6

from pkgsrc/mail/fetchmail/Makefile. If you do that, fetchmail does
not call getaddrinfo() at all (no surprise I guess). If you do this,
you also need no imap-entry in /etc/services for it to work.

So the question: who is at fault here???

Thanks in advance for any clarification,

        -- Urban