Subject: Re: v6 question
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/2000 03:06:20
>On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> > 	If the target of the advertisement (from ne0) is end node, run
>> > 	rtadvd on your router like
>> > 	# rtadvd ne0
>> > 	and run rtsol on your end nodes.
>> >
>> > 	your peer
>> > 	  | tunnel
>> > 	  | gif0
>> > 	my router
>> > 	  | ne0
>> > 	==+===== foo/64
>> > 	your end nodes
>Again to my router (see above): gif0 gets an address (static, from bar/64)
>for the tunnel. I want to use foo/64 for the ethernet. How can I assign
>the router's ne0 an address from foo/64? For the other nodes that want
>to be on the foo/64, I run rtadvd. But for the router itself? As far as I
>understand, I am not allowed to run rtsol on the router...

	Now I see.  Routers cannot be autoconfigured.  you need to perform
	ifconfig by hand.

	# ifconfig ne0 inet6 3ffe:xxx:yyy:zzz:uuu:vv:www:xxx prefixlen 64 alias
			     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
			     foo/64 + interface identifier (lower 64bit)
	should assign the prefix for ne0.  To automate it, just put
>inet6 3ffe:xxx:yyy:zzz:uuu:vv:www:xxx prefixlen 64 alias
	into /etc/ifconfig.ne0.  /etc/ifconfig.ne0 takes multiple lines so you
	can configure both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

	Just checking, your upstream assigned two /64 (foo/64 and baa/64)
	for you?  Usually, we do not need global address for tunnels
	(more correctly, point-to-point links).  If I were you I would
	configure global address to ne0 only (foo/64).  Without global
	address RIPng works just fine.

	router
	  |link-local only
	  |
	  | tunnel
	  |
	  |link-local only
	my router
	==+==== foo/64

>I can work around the checks in /etc/rc by running rtsold instead of
>rtsol, but I guess that's not what I'm expected to do. Does that "do not
>run rtsol on the same machine that runs rtadvd really make sense?
>How is the interface that rtadvd is run on expected to get its address?

	as written above, ifconfig is the only solution.

itojun