Subject: Re: v6 question
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/09/2000 21:37:33
On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 07:15:44PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > 	Now I see.  Routers cannot be autoconfigured.  you need to perform
> > 	ifconfig by hand.
>
> Why is this?
>
> If I run "rtsol ne0" manually after starting "rtadvd ne0", it works just
> fine. It's only /etc/rc that prevents me from doing so, and I don't know
> why.

It is not supposed to work that way.

Rather, you do NOT put the addresses into the rtadvd.conf file, but just
ifconfig the devices and let rtadvd discover the new addresses autmatically.

[Unless you want to do special magic.]

I suspect this is the way a routing daemon would inform rtadvd about address
changes, or additional prefixes, on an interface.

Regards,
	-is