Subject: Re: inet_pton() spec non-conformance
To: None <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/07/2000 14:43:20
On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 10:26:41PM +0900, wrote:
> >	inet_pton() included in src/lib/libc/net is not spec conformant.
> 	1.2 -> 1.3

> 	was the change really the right one?  shouldn't this be addressed
> 	by changing gethostbyname2() (and child functions) instead?

Uhm... the change was to check for overflows! It already misbehaved before!

If I understand the issue, you want to change inet_aton() and inet_addr().

if inet_pton may not do historical processing, my suggestion is to create a
new inet_pton4_internal with an additional flag parameter.
if flag 0, accept historical addresses
if flat 1, don't.

then call inet_pton4_internal(...,...,1) from inet_pton4() and
inet_pton4_internal(...,...,0) from inet_addr and inet_aton.

 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
   smart terminals.  -- (obscurity)