Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/04/2000 10:23:50
Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us> writes:

> WEP keys are painful to change -- every node in the wireless LAN has
> to have the same key loaded into it -- so chances are they won't be
> changed often, if ever.

Actually, you can set up to 4 decryption keys in the lucent card, and
select which is used for transmit.  This allows, from what I can tell:

	o rotating keys.  Every month or so, remove one and replace
	it.  The net effect is that a key is used at most 4 months.

	o give one key to one group, another to a second, and a third
	to a third.  If one is compromised, the other keys are still
	safe.

However, I agree with your analysis.  Scary that this is passed of as
wired-equavalent.

--Michael