Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/04/2000 06:47:04
> If the LAN is connected to the Internet, the attacker can likely
> inject packets containg that much known plaintext over the course of a
> week or two without someone noticing, while, at the same time,

Very interesting analysis!

I guess it all boils down to the purpose of the WEP mode.  Is it there
to protect your data or to keep some "intruder" from getting
full-duplex local network access via your RF gateway.

My model of this whole thing was that you still wanted IPSEC (or
something) protecting the actual data, and the WEP was only to keep
your neighbor's kid from using your internet connection.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/