Subject: Re: if_detach handling styles
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/03/2000 01:40:15
>>	it won't break any of existing communications.  we need to inform
>>	inpcb to obtain fresh route so that they are happy across interface
>>	removal.
>>
>>	inp_route caches the previously-used outgoing route for an inpcb.
>>	if interface gets deleted, each of inpcb will need to refresh
>>	cached route.  For example:
>>	- you have two interfaces (ne0 and tlp0)
>I think Bill is talking about the case where you have only one card,
>and he wants _some_ kind of route to stay around, so apps don't get an
>ENETUNREACH and give up. Say, switching a single-cardbus-slot laptop
>(without builtin ethernet) from PCMCIA Ethernet to PCMCIA wireless, or
>vice-versa. Apps that retransmit while there's no interface are in
>trouble.  (Bill--is that right?)

	I'm a bit confused.  When I emailed about bsdi-wildboar/freebsd-PAO/
	netbsd pcmcia models, someone told me that "interface and routes goes
	away, daemons and programs should live with it" is the right thing
	to do.  "Retainning routes even if interface is not there" is not
	consistent with it...

itojun