Subject: Re: netstat -i in /etc/daily
To: None <alexis@panix.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/24/2000 16:35:22
>So... What's my netmask? Worse, if this happens with an alias (so you can't
>look at it with ifconfig), I'm not sure there's *any* way to find out without
>writing code. (Well, any reasonable way, anyway.)

	for IPv6 we already have -v (avoid truncation, with unaligned columns).
	i think it okay to reuse it.

	we may be able to expand "Network" column to occupy 18 letters,
	instead of 13 letters, to avoid IPv4 address/prefix truncation.
	we need to remove some of stat items on the righthand side, to do this.

>So here's what I suggest:
>1) By default, combine network and address. This provides the most useful
>info, as well as shortening the average line length.
>2) For those who are concerned about the binary-impaired being able to
>figure out their network/broadcast address, add another flag (-v?) which
>adds a "Network Base" and "Broadcast Address" field, and gives up any pretense
>of trying to fit everything on one line.

	aren't there scripts that relies upon 3rd and 4th column?
	(like use of $3 and $4 in awk)

itojun