Subject: Re: removing too-much portability support code in KAME IPv6
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/06/2000 12:02:22
Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> writes:
> 	I plan to remove some of portability assuarance code in
> 	KAME IPv6 part, since some of #ifdefs are way too much to be readable.
> 	I'll remove parts like:
> 		#ifdef __bsdi__
> 		#ifdef __FreeBSD__
> 	or some other parts that does not apply for NetBSD.
> 	It actually makes KAME upgrade harder, but I think I need to do this
> 	for NetBSD repository.

I think that this will make it harder for you (and other KAME-s) to
keep the code in sync.  I think that we should try to minimize the
differences between the incorporated code and the kame-code.

Of course we should try to minimize the number of #ifdef's in the KAME
code - preferably by removing gratious differences between BSDs and by
factoring out system dependencies.

/assar