Subject: Re: removing too-much portability support code in KAME IPv6
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/06/2000 02:23:29
On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 01:37:49PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> 	I plan to remove some of portability assuarance code in
> 	KAME IPv6 part, since some of #ifdefs are way too much to be readable.
> 	I'll remove parts like:
> 		#ifdef __bsdi__
> 		#ifdef __FreeBSD__
> 	or some other parts that does not apply for NetBSD.
> 	It actually makes KAME upgrade harder, but I think I need to do this
> 	for NetBSD repository.

I think there's quite a bit of code in the tree on which unifdef should
be used to do this automatically.  The "portable" code could remain on
a vendor branch, while code that's actually readable and maintainable
by human beings would be at the head.

Other good candidates for this, at first glance, might be ipf, the 'de'
driver (though its lifetime is clearly limited), the 'ahc' driver, and
a few others...