Subject: Re: firewall and DNS question
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@idle.trapdoor.vip.at>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/29/1999 08:37:02
Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:

> does anyone have resources (Howtos etc.) to help me set up
> firewalling under netBSD? The only help I could find was from the
> NetBSD.org homepage.

  I don't know of any HOWTOs, but the keywords you are looking for are
ipnat(8) and ipf(8).  Some examples on how to use these can be found in
/usr/share/examples/ipf.

> My ISP does not allow routing and NAT protocols and DNS servers

  Well, 'NAT' is not a protocol, but rather a technique used on your
(local) computer.  You can use it, among other things, to hide a
complete network behind a single IP adress (without your ISP noticing),
and that's why your ISP doesn't like this ...

> Now I want to set up a caching only DNS Server on the PC
> used as router, AFAIK DNS servers exchange data by UDP, but the
> description I got from some books explain the Caching only DNS
> server as "storing current DNS requests for further use".

  AFAIK, you can configure bind8 to use some other port than 53 (which
may be blocked by your ISP) for _outgoing_ requests.  It will then still
listen on port 53 for incoming requests (acting as a DNS for those).

  There is also a DNS proxy tool out there, but I haven't tried that
one, yet ...

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene