Subject: firewall and DNS question
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/29/1999 06:12:46
Hi all,

does anyone have resources (Howtos etc.) to help me set up
firewalling under netBSD? The only help I could find was from the
NetBSD.org homepage.

Now a little DNS topic:

My ISP does not allow routing and NAT protocols and DNS servers
to be run on the machine connected to the ISP and claims, that all
UDP ports as well as some TCP ports (that as they say "are
commonly used by hackers and programms like Back Oriffic") are
blocked. Now I want to set up a caching only DNS Server on the PC
used as router, AFAIK DNS servers exchange data by UDP, but the
description I got from some books explain the Caching only DNS
server as "storing current DNS requests for further use".

Now I wanted to know if a caching only DNS server uses UDP ports
other than a standard browser does and thus the ISP could find out
that I use a DNS server.

Thnaks in advance

mike