Subject: Re: Layer-2 socket proposal
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/27/1999 22:15:12
chopps@merit.edu (Christian E. Hopps) writes:

> Layer-2 sockets are allocated as follows:
>
>         socket(PF_LINK, SOCK_DGRAM, frametype);
>
> Where frametype is selected from an enumeration of supported logical
> framing types.  For example FRAMETYPE_E2 (i.e., ethernet 2.0 or
> ethertype framing), FRAMETYPE_LLC (802.2 framing)

User API note:

I should have also mentioned that becuase of the nature of LLC SNAP
encoding, SNAP frames are considered seperate from LLC frames.

So for snap frames as the user you use FRAMETYPE_SNAP and the available
selector is (org_code, ethertype).

This has no effect on the kernel interface.

Thanks,
Chris.