Subject: Re: Multiple 0.0.0.0/0 routes
To: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/15/1999 14:27:47
>It is my understanding that Linux now supports multiple routes to a
>destination (often referred to as multipath routing).  Multipath routing
>is more powerful, but that doesn't make BSD less ``correct'', just less
>powerful.
>
>The reason Linux does it and BSD doesn't is because people are actively
>overhauling the linux routing code and no-one seems to have stepped up
>to do the same with NetBSD (*BSD whatever..).  There are many people
>(including myself) that would love to do this but don't have the time.

	I agree it would be nice, but we need to be very careful designing it.

	If I understand correctly, multiple destination support needs a
	careful consideration.  We cannot just forward packets at random to
	destinations (you may shuffle packets due to different path and
	and it makes reassembly code less performant).  And it is not really
	clear enough what is the best way for kernel to pick a path from
	equal-cost multipaths.

itojun