Subject: Re: forcing out an Nway code word on media change
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/13/1999 16:15:18
thorpej@nas.nasa.gov said:
> ! 		else if ((PHY_READ(sc, MII_ANER) & ANER_LPAN) != 0 &&
> ! 			 (sc-> mii_capabilities & BMSR_ANEG) != 0) {

Can we always assume that the ANER has the LPAN bit set if the
partner supports NWAY at this point? A switch should start an
autonegotiotion cycle when the link is established, but I didn't
find out whether our ANER gets set if we don't have autonegotiation
enabled (the BMCR_AUTOEN bit) at this time. The standard doesn't
go into details here. (Btw, does "isolated" mean "link down"?)
There is also a bootstrap problem if two machines are connected
point-to-point.
I don't see what this condition is necessary for, so I'd remove it.

best regards
Matthias