Subject: Re: An approach for detachable interfaces.
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/06/1999 20:03:32
    Wolfgang> (Michael Richardson) writes:
    >> (Personally, I just resume once I get home, and dhclient configures
    >> the network for me, or otherwise, figures where I am.

    Wolfgang> So do you do anything special with daemons that have the wrong
    Wolfgang> interface address squirreled away?

    Wolfgang> So far I've punted and just reboot the computer when the
    Wolfgang> environment changes significantly (eg. home/remote/off-net).

  I guess this the question: on such a mobile system what do I really run
that needs listens on sockets?
    named?  listens on only.
    apache? I use it for local stuff, (e.g. testing) only.

  What else is there that I care about? Even if I ran inetd (which I don't)
it listens to I don't expect any connections to stay up when I
change my IP address.

]                   At IETF46 in Washington, DC                 |  firewalls  [
] |device driver[