Subject: Re: An approach for detachable interfaces.
To: None <>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/06/1999 14:48:09

    Bill> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else besides Jonathan who
    Bill> thinks that allowing for hot-swap replacement of a removed, possibly
    Bill> failed, interface with a card with a different MAC address is
    Bill> fundamentally broken.

  I think that it should not be the default. Perhaps it is an option to
ifconfig, or perhaps just a kernel compile time option.
  It seems to me that the hot-swap replacement for redundancy is a very
different environment than Jonathan's environment, which may be more common.

  (Personally, I just resume once I get home, and dhclient configures the
network for me, or otherwise, figures where I am. But I can see his point of

  Also consider the case of having one notebook and two docking stations with
PCI NIC cards attached to the docking station. I doubt we can support that
right now (imagine the poor Win98 user!), but we should think about it.

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|  firewalls  [
] |device driver[

Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: latin1
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.4, an Emacs/PGP interface