Subject: Re: An approach for detachable interfaces.
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/06/1999 08:47:13
> there should be a call though to permanently flush the interface state,
> deleting the blackhole...

My original goal was to evolve towards a state where this could go
away when userland deleted all the routes to the interfaces and
addresses on the interface and brought the interface down.

i think that having the kernel delete all this state automatically
when the device goes away feels like the "wrong answer".

Getting the system to not crash when a pcmcia card containing a device
which is connected to an interface was ejected was the first step.
Considering that I know of a few people running L*n*x on laptops
specifically because we crash when we do this, it seemed like this
would be a reasonable short term goal ..

But I guess I'm just too much of a pragmatist.. :-)

					- Bill