Subject: Re: An approach for detachable interfaces.
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/05/1999 23:46:40
> The hot-swap proposal doesn't quite work, either: for real hot-swap
> failover, you'd want to change the new card to use the MAC address of
> the failed card.  (or send a gratuitous ARP, plus enough broadcasts
> to persuade any switches to update their topology).

Actually, you *really* want to use the old MAC address - consider
protocols that don't have anything ARPish.  (The only example that
comes to mind immediately is PPPoE, probably because I'm very aware of
that just now - change your MAC address and you lose your PPPoE session
no matter how many ARPs you send, unless your AC has something grossly
nonstandard in it....)

					der Mouse