Subject: Re: PR-7148 (causes kernel panic)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/28/1999 00:05:00
On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 12:53:46PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > Ha, ok. I though only kmem-grovelers used this ...
>
> Or at least that was my understanding. I'm sorry if I was wrong. :-)

Hum, taking a closer look at it:
it's the if_data struct that needs to be changed. This will change the size
of struct ifnet (I doubt userland use it, execpt kmem grovelers) and
if_msghdr.
Sure, with this change, programs that use if_msghdr will need to be
recompiled (if_msghdr is used for sysctl and one routing socket message), just
like other kmem grovelers. Is has one internal use in libc, but at it's
internal it's not an issue.
Other things that need to be recompiled:
route
routed
rwhod
gifconfig
route6d
rtadvd
rtsold

Is this a real issue ? I'm not sure versioning is straitforward in this case.