Subject: Re: 802.1Q tagged VLAN for NetBSD
To: Matthew N. Dodd <>
From: Michael Graff <>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/12/1999 17:16:21
"Matthew N. Dodd" <> writes:

> I'm thinking it should look something like the following.  I'm not too
> sure that a VLAN should be an interface; it may be more logical to think
> of it is an alternate framing type.

vlan is an attribute of a particular "network address group" -- for
instance, in my office, right now I have a 10Mbps and a 100Mbps wire.
I have two since I exist on two networks.

I could just as well get each of these over the same wire, with
virtual lan tagging.  I'd envision something like this:

# ifconfig fxp0
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
# ifconfig fxp0:0
        inet netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast
	vlan 186
# ifconfig fxp0:2
        inet netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast
	vlan 42

What syntax/architecture do the big routers and/or other OSs use for
multiple-interfaces-as-one and vlan tagging?