Subject: Re: 802.1Q tagged VLAN for NetBSD
To: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/12/1999 17:16:21
"Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> writes:

> I'm thinking it should look something like the following.  I'm not too
> sure that a VLAN should be an interface; it may be more logical to think
> of it is an alternate framing type.

vlan is an attribute of a particular "network address group" -- for
instance, in my office, right now I have a 10Mbps and a 100Mbps wire.
I have two since I exist on two networks.

I could just as well get each of these over the same wire, with
virtual lan tagging.  I'd envision something like this:

# ifconfig fxp0
fxp0 flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
# ifconfig fxp0:0
fxp0:1 flags=XXXX<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        inet 204.152.186.41 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 204.152.186.63
	vlan 186
# ifconfig fxp0:2
fxp0:2 flags=XXXX<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        inet 192.168.42.1 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 192.168.42.15
	vlan 42

What syntax/architecture do the big routers and/or other OSs use for
multiple-interfaces-as-one and vlan tagging?

--Michael