Subject: Re: 802.1Q tagged VLAN for NetBSD
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/08/1999 15:34:31
On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 03:10:00PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> Another thing which would be helpful here is some ifmedia extensions
> to allow more arbitrary attributes to be stuffed into an interface..
> (but that's been at least mentioned in the past, and will be useful to
> stomp out the proliferation of greconfig/gifconfig/wiconfig/... programs).

That'd help, as well as configuring different kinds of attributes at
different layers.  For example, things like baud rate or physical media
selection would be done with ifconfig on the chipset driver, whereas
things like framing type, address, etc. would be done with ifconfig on
the generic link-layer driver.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"